Thursday, November 17, 2005

Where Do These Kids Get Their Smarts?

Drumroll...report cards are in for Gavin (2nd grade) and Caleb (Kindergarten). High marks for both of them!
Gavin has been doing a wonderful job in the classroom. He's always giving me 100% effort. He has demonstrated responsibility through completing classroom assignments , as well as homework assignments accurately and on time. He has been demonstrating mastery of a great deal of the second grade skills. I really enjoyed getting to know him this quarter. He's a very kind, polite, young man.

Pause for a parent moment of..."phew!"

In a parent teacher conference with Sierra, Caleb's teacher raved about how smart he is and mentioned he says the funniest things (that's the Caleb we know). Caleb also tested at a 95 on some aptitude test. I asked Sierra if that was good thinking he missed some percentage points to get that 100 and she told me his teacher said they expect most kids to be in the high 20s and then work up to the high 70s by year end. Wow (proud parent exclamation)! If I recall right, I remember Gavin being up in the 90s as well when he began Kindergarten.

So the important question is, who do they get it from? Mom or Dad. Well I would argue that I was in these GT (Gifted and Talented) programs growing up in school (not bragging whatsoever about any geekery), and she would simply point to her last name: Smart.

No comments: