Since January we have been on a Gluten Free (GF) roller coaster. At a routine check up with Calebs endocrinologist, they did a Celiac screening. The lab results were positive. This started us on a path with GI. It took about 7 weeks to be seen there. Once we were seen we scheduled his trip into the hospital for an upper endoscopy. While waiting for his appointments, I decided to have a blood test done. The day after returning from Maui, my Dr. confirmed my blood test as positive. I was not really surprised. I had an endoscopy as well and my biopsy results were positive for Celiac. After Calebs procedure, we hit another bump. His biopsy was not confirmed. Dr. said to wait on GF diet until we did another blood test. In the meantime, I had the other boys tested and Gavins results were positive. After the second run of tests were positive, we were told to start a GF diet for both boys. (I started a month prior). Here is what I think. THIS STINKS! Ok so it is manageable. Just not fun. We buy special food that costs a small fortune, we have to always be prepared with what we can eat, fast food is not really an option, I have to pack lunches and the list goes on. I have been struggling a little bit with making healthy food choices. Just because something is GF doesn't mean it is healthy. Lots of candy is GF (not licorice, bummer) I love candy and when I am not sure what to eat, I think Chocolate will make it better. :) It has only been 5 weeks for the boys and 9 for me. We will get this all figured out. We are lucky to live where we do. There are a lot of GF options. I am grateful as well for good insurance. On a side note- we have had lots of weird family medical things. In the first 5 months of this year, our EOB's have totaled over $20,000. CRAZY! Thank You Insurance. 
My favorite lunch in the whole world is Jimmy Johns. We have broken up and I am sad!
Caleb will miss his burgers (with buns) from Jaks.
People have been kind to us. Helping us find the best products.
Who knew there were so many types of flour.
Caleb loves the hospital like me.




2 comments:
I have an awesome cookbook that is all Gluten-Free crock pot recipes. I'll need to get it to you!
You should write to Jimmy Johns and tell them of your plight. I wonder if they'd do anything for you???
Post a Comment