Saturday, October 09, 2010

For The Love of the Game

ΩLet it be known. We LOVE baseball. I am not sure who loves it more, Dave and I or the boys. We got this great idea to build a batting cage in the backyard so the boys could practice all year long. We met with a builder and an excavator and came up with a plan. Little did we know it would be SO much work. We had to take out the old semi retaining wall and build a new one. We ordered 40 railroad ties and began our labors. These things are HEAVY. I have 20+ bruises on my legs to prove it. We worked for hours and hours and I am happy to say... THE WALL IS BUILT! We moved all railroad ties down to the back, we - Dave mostly began to dig and dig. The trickiest part was making and then keeping it level. We put in support posts with concrete to add support. We also used rebar to pin all the ties together. The excavator should be coming soon to move the dirt. Who knew that would be so expensive? We will take out all the trees and bushes and move the swings as well. When we are done, we will have a batting cage 12 feet by 70 feet. The cage itself is great. It has a turf floor. I am thinking this will also be a great place to keep the kiddos. HA HA.


The boys have loved laying in all the dirt hills. I have laundry to prove it.
This was our last tie to move down. It was a great accomplishment. Stay tuned for the finished project.

I am also the proud owner of a new chainsaw because of this project.

3 comments:

Jennifer Moneymaker Owens said...

Wow Sierra! I am impressed!! Can't wait to see the finished project. :)

Dozen Senses said...

I love your photos & stories. -to die for. I just forwarded the link to the photo-shoot to Scott & all three oldest. (Did I mention: to die for?!) We plan to invite you to dinner again soon--need a dose of the forstroms!

Devin, April, Gavin and Drew said...

Glad I ran in to you today at Costco! I can not believe how old Trenton and Keaton look in these pictures! Holy cow! They are all so adorable! Such a beautful family you have! Merry Christmas!