Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day Mission










Being that we will be moving in a few weeks, there was one thing that I really wanted to do.  3 years ago in the 4th of July we went to Gettysburg, PA.  While we were there, we found a man who did sketches of the boys on the street.  (thanks Grandma Sharon)  I have always loved these pictures.  They are framed and hung in my house.  Well, here we are 3 years later with another boy in our family.  I wanted to get a picture of Trenton done and update the boys.  Monday morning we headed to Gettysburg on a mission to find Louis Welsh-  The artist who does sketches on the street.  We went with our friends the Featherstones.  We drove done Steinwher St looking for him and then decided to park and look again.  We walked up the street asking people if they knew him and if he still did drawings.  We didn't find out too much except that he was out sometimes.  After an hour or so we stopped for lunch.  That was crazy.  With 11 kids between the 2 families, we were quite a bunch.  After lunch we kept walking down the street to where the parade was going to begin and...WE FOUND HIM!!  I was so happy.  He was on the street right in front of where we parked the cars.  He finished the people he was drawing and then it was our turn.  I just love the drawings.  He is a very talented man who just makes money by doing these drawings.  THANKS LOIUS.  Not that he is going to read this.  But I love them.  The rest of the trip was good too.  The kids had fun running around the battlefilds.  Gavin had been studying a lot about the Civil War.  The history out here is amazing and we will miss all these cool experiences.  It took just over an hour to get to Gettysburg.  We drove through Maryland to get there so 3 states in an hour.  WOW!!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I love the drawings of the boys! I am glad you were able to find him.

Smartee said...

I love the drawings! I would love to find somebody like that to do pictures of the girls! Sounds like you had a fun weekend!

Love ya!
Ivie