Friday, February 06, 2009

Deceptively Delicious

If I was a better blogger I would have taken pictures of the whole process of pureeing. I was feeling a little domestic so I went to Fred Meyer and bought sweet potatos, cauliflower, carrots and butternut squash. I steamed or roasted the veggies and then pureed them and now they are in my freezer. I got the book Deceptively Delicious for my birthday last year and so I thought I should try it out. I made mac and cheese with cauliflower puree and the boys ATE IT UP. I was so excited. You couldn't even taste the cauliflower. I know to some of you this is dumb but it is something different to occupy my time. :-) This week we will try french toast with sweet potatos. The boys were interested to know what purpose different fruits and vegtables have. We eat fruits and veggies but variety is limited so I thought this might help. This also made me think how easy it would be to make my own baby food. Now you know I am really crazy. If we get little babies from Ethiopia, I just might make baby food. Then again, maybe not. :-)

7 comments:

Jason and Amy said...

I love it... keep 'em coming you domestic godess you!

Katie said...

You just reminded me that I have this book too! I need to break it out and start using it as I got it about a year ago. Thanks for the inspiration!

Penny said...

Wow Sierra - such the homemaker. I just got this book too. I am going to try the Mac & Cheese now. Let me know how the other things work out.

Jenny said...

I made baby food with all 3 kids- the amounts that they were eating it was much more cost effective for me and very easy. I started with only green veggies for the first couple months (my kids started veggies at 3 months old because of their high metabolism) and then added other veggies to the rotation. I didn't add any fruits for about 4 months. The first 2 kids I didn't do the baby cereal.
I have friends that love this book. We haven't had a problem with the kids liking veggies/fruits/whole grains so I haven't purchased it- but I hear it is wonderful!
Good Luck I am interested to hear how this goes for the boys.

The Burninghams said...

Who gave you that wonderful birthday gift? I bet whoever it was they are truly a BFF. :)

Sierra said...

Love you SUSU my BFF!

Emily said...

I need to be getting recipes from you now!